This Tomato and Basil Soup is perfect for February because it’s warm, cozy, and comforting. It’s also a great way to use up any canned tomatoes you may have on hand from last year’s harvest. The soup is vegan if you omit the heavy cream, but the cream adds a delicious richness and smoothness to the soup.
Serve this soup with a grilled cheese sandwich or a slice of crusty bread for a satisfying and delicious meal. You can also double the recipe and freeze some for later. Give this recipe a try and enjoy a warm and comforting bowl of soup this February!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes (with their juices) and vegetable broth to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and add the chopped basil.
- Stir in the heavy cream (if using) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the soup over low heat until it’s hot and ready to serve.