As the kids head back to school the first thing on our minds is: what to pack for lunch. These days a peanut butter and jelly sandwich can get boring fast. However, with these recipes that adults and kids alike will love, you can keep everyone in your family happy and well-fed!
Use this recipe as a base for your favorite meats, cheeses and veggies! The possibilities are endless!
Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
Recipe by: centercutcook.com
- Deli sliced ham or other meats of your choice
- Cheese (I used white and yellow American)
- Lettuce of your choice
- Large tortillas of your choice
- 1- 8oz package cream cheese – softened
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix until blended well.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture on your tortilla. Spread it out well so that the whole tortilla has a thin layer.
- Down the middle of the tortilla, place a few slices of deli ham to cover the width of the tortilla. On top of the ham, place a layer of cheese and lettuce to cover the width of the tortilla. This ensures that each pinwheel has meat, cheese and lettuce.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly. Cut off a small portion of each end and discard, then cut the remaining rolled tortilla into 6-8 slices, about 1 inch thick. Enjoy!
Make your kid an adventurous eater by stocking their lunch box with a pasta salad filled with colorful and delicious veggies!
Italian Pasta Salad
Recipe by: iwashyoudry.com
- 1 pound tri-colored rotini pasta, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups thick-sliced English cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can medium black olives, sliced
- 1/2 a purple onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Italian salad dressing
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta and 1 tsp olive oil. Cook until the pasta is al dente, and then add the broccoli florets. Cook 2 more minutes and then stain pasta and broccoli in a colander and run cold water over it until the pasta and broccoli are cooled. Drain completely and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the sliced cucumber, red bell pepper, olives, onion and pepperoni. Add in the pasta and broccoli and stir to combine. Pour in the dressing and toss to coat.
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve (up to 4 hours ahead of time for best results). Stir again before serving. Enjoy!
No Bake Energy Bites
Recipe by: gimmesomeoven.com
- 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Makes about 20-25 balls.